Just wanted to do a quick post about updates in the Ubuntu Server Guide. With Maverick we have dropped the ubuntu-serverguide package. This means that the guide will only be available in HTML and PDF formats. There are several reasons for making this change see the ubuntu-docs mailing list archives for more details , or better yet join the conversation :-).
Hopefully this will allow us to deliver a guide of higher quality. If you would like to contribute to the Server Guide, it's as simple as:
- Go to https://code.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs and click "Register a branch"
- Name your branch (test_branch in this example)
- Choose "Hosted" branch.
- Click the "Register Branch" button.
- Get the main branch. In a terminal enter: bzr branch lp:ubuntu-docs
- edit a DocBook XML file in serverguide/C/
- Validate that your changes: scripts/validate.sh serverguide/C/serverguide.xml (if there are no errors it's valid!)
- bzr commit (then enter a log message)
- bzr push --use-existing-dir lp:~your_lp_username/ubuntu-docs/test_branch
- Back at https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~your_lp_username/ubuntu-docs/test_branch click the "Propose for merging" link.
- Fill in a description and click the "Propose Merge" button.
- Your branch will then be reviewed and if all is well merged with the main branch.